Monday 3 September 2012

The JKB Window Hook Roof Platform

         The JKB Window Hook roof platform is a custom built device for hooking onto a dormer window and resting on the roof tiles in order to undertake repairs/maintenance. It saves hundreds of pounds in scaffolding costs and can be stored away in two separate parts after use. Made from stout 18mm exterior grade plywood and sandwiched at the hook in three thicknesses of material, it is screwed and glued together and lacquered with two coats of matt polyurethane varnish and one top coat of yacht varnish. Job done!




The JKB Window Hook platform. Copyright Jeremy Broun 2012


      It took longer to design the concept than build it and its hook profile and general angled geometry is made to measure for my particular roof. I had already constructed a roof ladder (see my You Tube WOODOMAIN channel) from a couple of bundles of batten so this is also a very low cost solution for servicing my roof and dormer window. Both sections of the platform are 48" long, conveniently coming out of an eight by four sheet and it makes lifting into position and storage easier. 
     




Looking down on the platform from the dormer window flat roof

        There is an extra hitch point where the two holes are to anchor the end of the platform to the dormer roof upright. I used rope but envisage constructing a metal strap that simply hooks into place. The two sections are fixed together in situ with stout stainless steel screws with the larger hole as a viewing hole to locate the screw. Each section is light enough to manoeuvre through the dormer window opening and fix into place on the roof and the hooks amply clear the window sill and flashing if repairs are needed there, which in my case they did. 


The platform is made in two sections for ease of mobility and storage


     
 If you are a woodworker/housebuilder who would like to use my idea all I ask for is an acknowledgment or better still buy my Routing DVDs (from WOODOMAIN.com) as a thank you for my ideas. It would cost me too much to patent many of my ideas but I believe in the universal law of what goes around comes around. My device may be featured in a future issue of 'British Woodworking' magazine as an example of resourceful woodworking. I intend doing my own roof repairs for as long as I am active. If you use the idea and make a similar window hook platform I cannot accept any responsibility for its safety, not least because build quality is important. If you are 25 stone heavy obviously the way I have built mine would not be strong enough. Safety always comes first and it is imperative to use an anchored safety harness when working on a roof.






.

6 comments:

  1. A roof job requires safety precautions. For me, I make sure that I wear mask, gloves, and protective shoes. The ladder must also be firmly on the ground. Anyway, the window hook platform is truly amazing! What type of material did you use? Was it stainless steel? I make sure that the screw and metal strap are all stainless because they won’t rust when the rainy season comes.
    - Carl Patten

    ReplyDelete
  2. The window hook roof platform looks nice! It would be really useful when I’m having roof repairs done. I think it would be safer to use than standing on ladders. It’s good that you used stainless strapping and screws to attach the wood together. It would be sturdier, more secure, and it won’t rust.

    Thelma Bowman

    ReplyDelete
  3. In answer to these comments I need to clarify the platform is not designed to be left out for more than the duration of the job. It would not only be unsightly on the roof but damp would get through the varnish. It is designed to do a job and then be stored under the roof eaves in sections, like my roof ladder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to say it doesn't use stainless steel strapping but polyester rope, again sturdy enough to do the job its intended for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. The You Tube video received less complimentary comments but as you say Josef, by reading the full context gives a greater understanding and we live in cultures overweighted by health and safety protocol. Soon we will need a harness to cross the road!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have plans/drAwings for dormer platform?
    Thanks, Jeff

    ReplyDelete